Amazon Book Wishlist

My Amazon.com Wish List

Monday, March 5, 2007

Be holy as I am holy

As we go about our lives, we develop habits and these habits slowly start to characterize our lives. This was at the forefront of my mind lately because I'm finishing the book of Leviticus in my study, and I realized that "Be holy as I am holy", or some variation of the command to be holy, is used a tremendous amount. If we are holy, that means that we are set apart for Godliness. What does this mean? One of the main things that keeps jumping into my mind is the admonishment by Paul to not be conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. There is a clear contrast between the worlds habits, and the Christian's habits. I know a lot of people have a long list of "do's and don'ts" that they can almost check off when they accomplish something big or abstain from something evil, and while there is a definite place for such a thing, I think that the issue's of holiness goes further than that. I started to think. How do you drive John? Are you quick to cut someone off to get ahead of them, are you racing to get past that one last car? How do you treat people in passing? Are you courteous about letting others go before you, do you tend to avoid looking people in the eye and get away from them as fast as you can? How are you towards someone who gets in your way, offends you, or acts like you're not even there? Are you resentful or angry at them? How many of these things can people see? The answer is that those who are looking can read a lot more about me than I know, and you can know a lot about a person by observing them. How little do I represent Christ, and how much better would it be if the nuances of my behavior were to change? Without losing sight of the larger aspects of my Christian walk, how do I become more aware of the smaller things that people who are watching notice? This is my question. How can I be holy (in even the smallest things) as God is holy? What a shame it would be to stand before Christ and have to account for a wasted life, how much better would it be to see Christ and your Heavenly Father beaming with joy say "Well done good and faithful servant." If the goal of the Christian life is to live a pleasing life to God that is set apart from the world and holy in all ways, let us strive in every way to attain this.

No comments: