Amazon Book Wishlist

My Amazon.com Wish List

Friday, April 20, 2007

Giving needs to increase...

I was thinking about how many churches around are almost weekly bringing up and having someone discuss giving and how the church needs support. Week after week hearing the same thing, it begins to become a broken record that skips over the same part over and over again. I was thinking that this cannot be a healthy sign. This got brought to the forefront of my mind tonight because I recall my friends' church in Ontario, and out of all the times I have had the pleasure to attend, I don't ever remember hearing anything regarding money. There was a small notifier in the bulletin as to how much the last weeks offering was, but it didn't even have a budget given. I cant recall if the bulletin is consistently like that, because I only noticed it on my last visit, but something else struck me. They don't even to my knowledge pass around an offering plate. It's very weird, and refreshing in many ways, to see a church that doesn't have to constantly be reminding its congregation to give. The fact that they have no offering, and there is no expected giving listed in addition to the fact that it is not mentioned, and yet the church survives and the funds are met as they are needed is so amazing to me. Examples like this give me a glimpse of what a healthy church looks like. When you are leading the flock as you ought, the flock will grow and become mature believers, and as they mature they grow closer to God and giving and taking care of one another become natural to them. Isn't this the way we ought to be? You cant make giving and charity natural when you keep begging for money. It is something that is the product of a healthy, mature, biblically based church. Thank God they exist, and God willing may there be more and more of such churches. Christians who believe their Lord when he says that He will provide, and who obey when He urges them towards giving and charity. Praise God!

No comments: